Sunday, February 2, 2014

Commit the Act, Pay the Price

            One of the short stories we read this week was Hills like White Elephants. When first reading through it I didn’t quite understand the whole meaning. After doing my research I discovered that there was so much symbolism within it. The girl is struggling with her decision on having abortion and the guy is saying that he does not see another way. The girl is thinking about how she could overcome these obstacles and make a life with her unborn child.
In real life, I believe that many girls struggling with the decision on whether or not to have an abortion. Most guys are all for abortion but the girls are the ones who have to go through the emotions and it is truly real. For guys they don’t have to go to the abortion clinic and actually have the procedure done to them and it is not as traumatic. I believe guys should be more supportive on how the girl is feeling and focus on her and not just think about his personal gain. If a guy is responsible enough to commit the act, then he should be responsible enough to take care of a baby.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you. When I first read the story, I was like what in the heck is going on. After I researched it and read it for a second time, that is when the story actually started to make sense and I could see that there was so much more of a meaning to the story than a couple at a bar, waiting or a train. I definitely agree that guys should take more of a responsibility when this type of thing occurs than most guys do. It takes two people to "tango", but only one person seems to take the suffering.

    ReplyDelete